- Thu Oct 19 4:02 PM
It is 15 years to the day since Wayne Rooney
introduced himself to the wider world and, in a new book, we hear from the people who saw him come through David Moyes’s early period at Everton was helped by the emergence of the club’s most outstanding youth player in living memory. On the opening da...
- Thu Oct 19 1:31 PM
• Match is switched by Sky to the evening of Friday 22 December instead • Arsenal face two games that midweek if they progress in Carabao Cup The Premier League fixture between Arsenal and Liverpool at the Emirates Stadium will not be moved to Christmas Eve , after a backlash from supporters agai...
- Wed Oct 18 8:02 PM
• Midfielder defends team-mates after ‘unjustified’ Troy Deeney criticisms • Debuchy set to return to depleted Arsenal defence for Europa League match Jack Wilshere
leapt to the defence of his Arsenal team-mates whose temperament was savaged by Troy Deeney in the aftermath of the defeat at Watfor...
- Wed Oct 18 6:51 PM
• Everton manager prepares to face Lyon at home in Europa League • Arsenal at home and Chelsea away next up for troubled Dutchman Ronald Koeman believes he still retains the confidence of the Everton board as he tries to turn round a disappointing start to the season but admits he needs a win at...
- Wed Oct 18 12:57 PM
• Player scored his first goal on Tuesday since his move from Arsenal • England international has made only one start under Jürgen Klopp Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
has said he must be patient for first-team opportunities at Liverpool as he is still developing and adapting to Jürgen Klopp’s methods....
- Mon Oct 16 3:29 PM
• Manchester City forward ‘didn’t believe a word’ of transfer rumour in August • Sterling is joint top scorer for Premier League leaders with seven goals Raheem Sterling
has stated he did not “think one minute” about Arsenal’s wish to buy him in the summer when he learned of the club’s interest....
- Sun Oct 15 10:30 PM
Arsenal lost their lead and nerve after the German midfielder and Troy Deeney came on with the Watford man saying the Gunners lacked ‘a bit of cojones ’ Tom Cleverley, the eventual match-winner, said Watford had “smelled a little bit of blood” as they took a more muscular approach to Arsenal in t...
- Sat Oct 14 9:44 PM
• Manager says penalty awarded to Richarlison ‘was a creation of the referee’ • Wenger concedes his team also contributed to downfall in Watford’s 2-1 win Arsène Wenger blamed a “scandalous” penalty decision and his own team’s lack of killer instinct for a damaging 2-1 defeat at Watford . Arsenal...
- Sat Oct 14 7:35 PM
’s first league goal for almost four years counted for nothing as Arsenal relinquished the lead and left empty-handed following two second-half goals from Watford. Troy Deeney equalised from the penalty spot – his first goal of the season – before Tom Cleverley
lashed in the winnin...
- Sat Oct 14 4:35 PM
Premier League updates from the 5.30pm BST game at Vicarage Road Introducing our new football notifications on the Guardian app And feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org 4.35pm BST Watford (4-2-3-1) Gomes; Femenia, Mariappa, Britos, Holebas; Doucoure, Kabasele; Pereyra, Cleverley, Richarli...
- Fri Oct 13 10:30 PM
• Arsenal midfielder has not played in top flight this season • ‘If the competition was less ferocious, he is ready. He is nearly back to his best’ Arsène Wenger believes it would be a risk to start Jack Wilshere
in the Premier League until he is convinced the Arsenal midfielder is ready to handl...
- Fri Oct 13 4:33 PM
Watford and Arsenal are out of their comfort zones. Marco Silva’s side have not won yet at home and Arsène Wenger’s have not won away from the Emirates. However, it is surely Arsenal that should be more confident, despite in all likelihood missing Alexis Sánchez, of breaking their duck after not...
- Fri Oct 13 3:32 PM
Özil has been accused of not running enough or working hard enough but after four years at Arsenal he remains basically the same player with the same skills You’d have to try pretty hard not to like Paul Merson as a TV pundit. Even if you insisted on making a public show of not liking him – rolli...
- Fri Oct 13 10:13 AM
Arsenal didn’t have the happiest Easter in 1986. In the space of a week they lost their manager, lost a north London derby and lost twice to Watford in two days By Steven Pye for That 1980s Sports Blog , part of the Guardian Sport Network In this modern world of ours, it seems Arsenal are only ev...
- Thu Oct 12 11:21 AM
• Arsenal manager says ‘every kind of solution’ is possible • ‘Both players look happy here; I hope that the situation can be turned around’ Arsène Wenger has admitted that Arsenal might be forced to sell Mesut Özil and Alexis Sánchez in January if there is no sign of a breakthrough in contract t...
- Thu Oct 12 10:09 AM
, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
, Michael Keane, Nathan Aké and Andre Gray cost a fortune but haven’t delivered yet. It’s time they stepped up By Martin Laurence for WhoScored? , part of the Guardian Sport Network It wasn’t just the £45m fee Everton forked out for Gylfi Sigurdsson
- Wed Oct 11 10:25 AM
89 tells the story of Arsenal's dramatic win at Anfield in May 1989 when Michael Thomas's late goal secured the first division title for the Gunners. Featuring interviews with Lee Dixon, George Graham, Tony Adams and Thomas himself, the documentary will be released on Blu-Ray, DVD and digital dow...
- Tue Oct 10 9:58 AM
Deschamps has to pick a balanced team while juggling the talents of Mbappé, Giroud, Dembélé, Griezmann, Lacazette, Payet and Martial – among others By Adam White and Eric Devin for Get French Football News France’s narrow victory over Bulgaria on Saturday night means Didier Deschamps has won more...
- Mon Oct 9 7:46 PM
• Kane is one of seven Premier League players on 30-player list • Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud
nominated for Fifa’s Puskas award The Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane has been named on a 30-man shortlist to win the 2017 Ballon d’Or. Kane has enjoyed a superb year, scoring 43 times in 37 appearance...
- Mon Oct 9 8:34 AM
Today’s fluff is covered in dripping Milan haven’t made a statement on the football pitch for quite some time and having had an underwhelming start to the season, that doesn’t look like changing any time soon. So, instead, they’ll focus on making a statement off it. Specifically, by channelling a...
- Sun Oct 8 11:06 PM
• Joachim Löw confirms defender expected to be sidelined for ‘longer break’ • Leon Goretzka’s brilliant backheel secures 10th victory in qualifying Arsenal’s Shkodran Mustafi is expected to be sidelined for some time after he was forced to limp out of Germany’s 5-1 World Cup qualifying win over A...
- Fri Oct 6 10:00 AM
In the mid-1980s Arsenal supporters gathered outside the boardroom to shout ‘sack the board’. But how do today’s fans reach Kroenke and Usmanov? Len Shackleton, a footballing maverick who was earning the maximum wage of £17 per week by the end of his luminous career in 1957, chose a particularly...
- Fri Oct 6 9:05 AM
Today’s fluff is being shown the snow-peaked mountains way down south “ Southampton are ready to end Theo Walcott
’s Arsenal misery, ” trumpets the Express in a back-page exclusive, “and take him back to the club where he began his career.” The Gunners, they report, are preparing “a January clear...
- Thu Oct 5 12:00 PM
West Ham v Newcastle, a 560-mile round trip, has been mooted for a Super Sleigh Bell Sunday on the night before Christmas, along with Arsenal v Liverpool The almost total lack of regard in which broadcasters hold football fans is no secret, so it should have come as no surprise to learn that Sky...
- Wed Oct 4 10:30 PM
• Oxlade-Chamberlain expected to play off right flank against Slovenia • Sterling, Rashford and Kane to start together for England for first time Raheem Sterling
will return to England’s starting lineup for the qualifier against Slovenia on Thursday, operating in the No10 position, with Alex Oxla...
- Wed Oct 4 7:35 PM
• Russian says he would sell to group with fans’ interests at heart • ‘I am not holding any talks with Mr Kroenke about a sale’ Alisher Usmanov has said he will not sell his stake in Arsenal to Stan Kroenke, despite having been offered £525m for it by the club’s majority shareholder. But Usmanov,...
- Tue Oct 3 7:27 PM
• Power struggle at Arsenal itensifies as American looks to buy out rival • Fans fear move would put Kroenke in position to squeeze out shareholders Arsenal’s majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, has bid almost £525m to buy out Alisher Usmanov, the second-largest shareholder who has tried several...
- Sun Oct 1 5:20 PM
Arsène Wenger celebrated the 21st anniversary of his arrival at Arsenal with a 2-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion. Nacho Monreal and Alex Iwobi scored the goals in the win which saw Arsenal move up to fifth in the Premier League. Wenger described the last international break - coming after the 4...
- Sun Oct 1 2:07 PM
The Wenger Out Brigade scare easily but they’ll be back. And in greater numbers. For now, it is a time for Arsenal to enjoy a period of tranquillity and, yes, positivity. To continue the Star Wars theme, the force is with them, at present. Arsène Wenger is only ever one bad result from hearing th...
- Sun Oct 1 11:04 AM
Minute-by-minute updates from the early kick-off at Emirates Stadium Wenger says Arsenal feel like a different team in recent weeks Send your thoughts to Rob.Smyth@theguardian.com 11.04am BST Arsenal (3-4-2-1) Cech; Holding, Mustafi, Monreal; Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Kolasinac; Iwobi, Sanchez; La...