- Sat Feb 17 9:20 PM
• Video official was deployed to judge Juan Mata
offside • Lines on the screen appeared to be wavy and uneven José Mourinho said that the use of VAR to disallow a Juan Mata
goal in Manchester United’s 2-0 FA Cup fifth round win over Hudderfield Town “went against the original protocol” of the sys...
- Sat Feb 17 7:34 PM
Paul Pogba missed this game through illness, leaving Manchester United to book their place in the last-eight draw without him. Thanks to Romelu Lukaku
’s 20th and 21st goals of the season they managed it comfortably enough, the striker showing the value of possessing an accomplished goalscorer whe...
- Sat Feb 17 4:54 PM
Live updates from the FA Cup fifth-round tie Sheffield Wednesday take Swansea to FA Cup replay And you can email Simon or tweet @Simon_Burnton 4.54pm GMT So that’s four changes for Huddersfield, with Terence Kongolo, Philip Billing, Collin Quaner and Danny Williams coming in. United make six chan...
- Fri Feb 16 2:02 PM
• Mourinho denies he disagrees with Pogba over best position • United manager says relationship has not broken down José Mourinho has denied his relationship with Paul Pogba has broken down and described speculation that the midfielder might want to leave the club as “a lot of lies”. Pogba receiv...
- Fri Feb 16 1:40 PM
There are two Premier League grounds where José Mourinho has never been on the winning side. Newcastle is the more famous, but on his first visit to Huddersfield in October the Terriers ran out 2-1 winners. That is perhaps the high point of the newly promoted side’s season, more recently they hav...
- Fri Feb 16 9:10 AM
Today’s fluff just toss that ham in the fryin’ pan In devastating news for Manchester United fans, it seems that one of their top midfielders is likely to leave this summer. Get the emotional tributes ready as soon as possible because there are reports in Turkey that Marouane Fellaini has agreed...
- Thu Feb 15 8:24 AM
Today’s fluff needs a goal Ninety-one days until the next window, and Mino Raiola is restless. Eighteen months after he made £41m by giving Paul Pogba’s contract a once over, Raiola’s said to be ready to help out Ed Woodward again – this time by easing through Mauro Icardi’s move from Inter to Ma...
- Wed Feb 14 10:01 AM
Ex-United player wants to build sports university but locals object to takeover of green belt Plans by Gary Neville
to transform Manchester have once again been met with opposition. Hundreds of residents have objected to proposals by Manchester United’s “class of 92” to build a new sports univers...
- Tue Feb 13 9:33 AM
Spurs dread in-form Juventus, Porto plan to cause an upset at Anfield and Neymar will show Spain what it is missing Juventus If we play as solidly as we have done in the last few months, we will be tough to beat. After a slow start to the season we have picked up in defence and now, despite not l...
- Tue Feb 13 8:30 AM
Today’s chatter will give you a warm glow How to solve a problem like Paul Pogba seems to be the conundrum vexing José Mourinho right now and he believes Toni Kroos and Isco could be the missing pieces in Manchester United ’s midfield puzzle. United have been longtime admirers of both playmakers,...
- Mon Feb 12 5:30 PM
An unattractive style of play and Paul Pogba’s lacklustre form are among the reasons that progress has stalled at Old Trafford This was the season José Mourinho aimed to make Manchester United credible title challengers . Instead, the defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday leaves them 16 points beh...
- Mon Feb 12 11:22 AM
José Mourinho said Newcastle’s 1-0 win over his Manchester United side was lucky but ‘they went over all the limits of the effort, of sacrifice, of everything a manager likes to see in his teams.’ A goal by Matt Ritchie condemned Manchester United to their fifth Premier League defeat of the seaso...
- Mon Feb 12 10:00 AM
The Premier League’s lack of downtime is much maligned – but few clubs are truly idle over an ever more frenzied Christmas The Champions League returns this week and, for many, the most thrilling football tournament in Europe and arguably the world starts now. The wheat has been separated from th...
- Mon Feb 12 9:00 AM
The Manchester United manager’s talk of luck held no weight on a day when his clumsily assembled attack were again lifeless The end was chaotic, Newcastle camped in their box with every block and clearance being roared to the rafters, but the tension of that final minute of injury time, and the s...
- Mon Feb 12 7:56 AM
Roberto Firmino is underrated no longer, Jonjo Shelvey
’s calmness is key and Alexandre Lacazette is lacking confidence The Recap: sign up for the best of our sport coverage Let’s call it the Denis Irwin rule, the dictum that when a player is described as underrated so often then it’s probably no...
- Sun Feb 11 10:08 PM
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from England’s top flight • Follow Guardian sport on Instagram for more great photography Continue reading
- Sun Feb 11 6:40 PM
• ‘The way Newcastle fought for every last thing is beautiful’ • Manchester United coach says Paul Pogba was not carrying injury José Mourinho’s expertise at deflecting criticism hit new heights in the wake of his side’s 1-0 defeat against Newcastle United at St James’ Park on Sunday. Manchester...
- Sun Feb 11 4:37 PM
At the end of an afternoon when Jonjo Shelvey
really did look worthy of an England place, Paul Pogba appeared a mere mortal and Martin Dubravka shone on his debut in goal for Newcastle United, two things remained unchanged for José Mourinho. Manchester United’s manager had still not won a Premier...
- Sun Feb 11 1:15 PM
Minute-by-minute updates from St James’s Park Live scores: all the goals as they go in around the UK and Europe Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tweet @DanielHarris 1.25pm GMT Hamstrung by avaricious ownership, let down by the football authorities, full of their own self-importance, living off...
- Sat Feb 10 10:30 PM
• There should be an award for touchline conduct, says Portuguese • ‘I prepare myself for each game and make an effort to stay calm’ José Mourinho aims to follow up his remarks about rival managers behaving like clowns on the touchline by presenting himself as a paragon of virtue for the rest of...
- Sat Feb 10 12:01 PM
From Juventus and Spurs’ intriguing battle to Chelsea’s forbidding meeting with Barcelona and a likely stroll for Bayern, we look over all eight last-16 matchups Tuesday, St Jakob-Park and Wednesday 7 March, Etihad Related: New era edges closer as Tottenham seek to draw a line under austerity yea...
- Sat Feb 10 9:00 AM
A thigh strain permitting, Islam Slimani hopes to makes his Newcastle debut. Can the Algeria striker and Leicester loanee help Rafael
Benítez put an old foe, José Mourinho, in his place? Might Slimani be capable of scoring the goals needed to ensure Benitez’s team avoid relegation? Will Mourinho...
- Fri Feb 9 11:41 PM
• Midfielder had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer late last year • Miller won 21 Republic of Ireland caps in career spanning 16 years The former Republic of Ireland midfielder Liam Miller has died aged 36 from pancreatic cancer. Miller, who played for Celtic, Manchester United, Sunderland an...
- Fri Feb 9 10:29 PM
• Algeria striker said he felt ‘a good feeling’ with Newcastle manager • Slimani hopes to overcome thigh strain to face Manchester United Islam Slimani is embarking on a three-fold mission at Newcastle. The Algeria striker wants to score the goals needed to keep Rafael Benítez’s side in the Premi...
- Fri Feb 9 5:35 PM
• Manchester United manager plays down talk of rift with midfielder • Portuguese baffled by Wayne Rooney
’s view on player’s best role José Mourinho has said Paul Pogba has plenty of room for improvement but that few midfielders have greater potential than Manchester United’s record signing. Mouri...
- Fri Feb 9 12:30 PM
The forward has overcome several false starts to shine but he needs to deliver over an extended period or risk going the way of Mkhitaryan In his six years at Manchester United Jesse Lingard has been an enigma. A player who was loaned out four times, struggled to convince four managers yet was pe...
- Thu Feb 8 5:52 PM
Readers respond to coverage of the 60th anniversary of the plane crash that killed eight Manchester United players, three of the team’s staff, eight journalists and four others I read with sadness the articles about the Munich air disaster 60 years ago by Jamie Jackson ( ‘They were the best team...
- Wed Feb 7 6:03 PM
• Ruling dates back to his time at Barcelona but he will not go to jail • Agent calls agreement ‘unjust’ and hits out at inland revenue Alexis Sánchez’s agent has confirmed the Manchester United striker has accepted a prison sentence for tax fraud, but has described the agreement as “entirely unj...
- Tue Feb 6 8:32 PM
• ‘This is a pilgrimage. A trip every United fan should make once’ • Bayern Munich’s Karl-Heinz Rummenigge among the speakers The strains of “We’ll keep the red flag flying high” sang out across Manchester Platz, or Manchester Square, Munich on a bitterly cold February day. The sun shone out of t...
- Tue Feb 6 6:43 PM
The 60th anniversary of the Munich air disaster was marked with a commemoration service at Old Trafford. In attendance was Sir Bobby Charlton, who survived the fatal plane crash Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United first-team squad Continue reading