- Mon Jul 31 6:00 PM
Matic is a classic José Mourinho second-season purchase who should bring the midfield stability and control the manager seeks and allow Paul Pogba to shine Six months into his first season back at Chelsea , José Mourinho had identified three key areas in which his team were deficient. Hindsight s...
- Mon Jul 31 4:04 PM
• Serbian midfielder reunites with José Mourinho at Old Trafford • Matic is United’s third signing of summer after Lindelof and Lukaku Manchester United have completed the purchase of Nemanja Matic from Chelsea on a three-year deal, with an option to extend for a further year. Matic’s signing rep...
- Mon Jul 31 3:10 PM
• Jones banned for two European games over conduct after Europa League final • United’s Daley Blind fined over reluctance to take a drug test at same game Phil Jones
has been banned for two matches and Daley Blind fined by Uefa after the Manchester United pair were found guilty of breaching the g...
- Mon Jul 31 9:10 AM
Today’s rumours have their tin hat on Well, this is awkward. After yesterday’s act of gross insubordination , in which the Rumour Mill poured scorn on the futility and utter pointlessness of its own existence, here we are at the start of another week, surveying the football landscape to see what’...
- Sun Jul 30 10:32 PM
• Valerenga 0-3 Manchester United • Marouane Fellaini
gives reminder of skills despite being linked to move Romelu Lukaku
scored as Manchester United beat Valerenga 3-0 in Oslo in the penultimate match of their summer tour. Marouane Fellaini
, who has been linked with a move away from Manchester,...
- Sun Jul 30 5:00 PM
American fans flock to the International Champions Cup but there is concern that while enriching top European clubs it may not be helping the US domestic game On Saturday night a sellout crowd of 66, 014 spectators footed between $240 (£183) and $3, 500 (£2, 665) to watch a pre-season friendly be...
- Sun Jul 30 12:40 PM
• Juventus keen on Matic but midfielder wants to link up with José Mourinho • Galatasaray set for talks with United over buying Marouane Fellaini
Manchester United are poised to complete the purchase of Nemanja Matic from Chelsea and are due to hold talks with Galatasaray at the start of the week...
- Sat Jul 29 9:59 PM
• Manchester United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool scouting Dutch youngster • Bogarde, a ball-playing defender, is a free agent until he turns 16 in May Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool have a strong interest in signing the Dutch youth defender Melayro Bogarde, nephew of th...
- Sat Jul 29 7:40 PM
• Arsenal 5-2 Benfica • Inter manager rules out Ivan Perisic transfer to Manchester United Arsenal beat Benfica 5-2 on the opening day of the Emirates Cup. One of the standout performances came from Sead Kolasinac, the free transfer who looked powerful on the flank and used the ball shrewdly in t...
- Sat Jul 29 2:04 PM
• Croatian winger had been linked with a move to Manchester United • Spalletti: there has been ‘no significant contact’ from other clubs Internazionale coach Luciano Spalletti insists that Ivan Perisic will remain at the San Siro next season, despite the Croatian winger being linked to Manchester...
- Fri Jul 28 10:30 PM
• Baines already impressed by Rooney’s contribution since signing • Full-back warns it will be tough to close gap on top four Leighton Baines
believes Wayne Rooney
will be a key influence on Everton’s pursuit of a first trophy since 1995 but that there remains a gap between the Premier League’s l...
- Fri Jul 28 12:28 PM
• Ashley Fletcher leaves West Ham to join Middlesbrough for £6.5m • Gareth Bale
’s agent dismisses reports Wales forward could leave Real Madrid Newcastle have confirmed the signing of Spain Under-21 midfielder Mikel Merino on a season-long loan from Borussia Dortmund. Merino, who began his career...
- Fri Jul 28 10:00 AM
Mourinho is apparently a happy manager and can be delighted with Lukaku’s start but expect frustration if at least one more signing is not made swiftly Tottenham Hotspur are “big favourites” for the Premier League while Manchester United have only a fighting chance and are inferior to Real Madrid...
- Fri Jul 28 8:47 AM
Today’s rumours are flighty If Kylian Mbappé flaps his wings, will he create an extraordinary front of hot air around Old Trafford? That was the main imponderable on the Mill’s lips this morning upon the news that Gareth Bale
could be Manchester United -bound if the Monaco speedster gets his poss...
- Thu Jul 27 11:10 PM
The striker received the loudest ovation of Everton’s players and the chants of his name during the Europa League tie were a far cry from the vitriol of 12 years ago A slender win and subdued display against the third-best team in last season’s Slovakian Fortuna Liga was not how Wayne Rooney
- Thu Jul 27 10:00 PM
• Everton 1-0 Ruzomberok • Baines 65 New-look Everton’s latest European campaign got off to only a stuttering start, though at least Leighton Baines
’s second-half goal gives them a slender advantage to try to hold on to in Slovakia next week. There were several promising debuts as well, though Wa...
- Thu Jul 27 4:53 PM
• Portuguese prefers Manchester United not to be compared to Spanish giants • ‘United are much more adapted to the hard competition of the Premier League’ José Mourinho believes Paul Pogba is one the few Manchester United players at the same level as Barcelona and Real Madrid, with the manager sa...
- Thu Jul 27 10:44 AM
The Manchester United manager José Mourinho said he is pleased with his side’s showing during the club’s US tour despite losing to Barcelona in Maryland on Wednesday. The manager highlighted the fact that United competed with both Barça and Real Madrid during the US trip. Mourinho and his squad h...
- Thu Jul 27 9:23 AM
In a highly competitive field it is almost impossible to split Vieira’s move and Manchester United’s purchase of Roy Keane but the Frenchman edges it for redefining what the style of a Premier League midfielder could look like Sometimes, end-of-era curtain calls happen without the necessary fanfa...
- Thu Jul 27 2:52 AM
Barcelona 1-0 Manchester United Neymar’s goal just after the half-hour mark settles friendly Manchester United closed their pre-season tour of America on a dissonant note by losing this fifth outing in what was a pedestrian showing from José Mourinho’s outfit. The manager has serially stressed re...
- Wed Jul 26 11:49 PM
European rivals meet at FedExField in International Champions Cup Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @pfconnolly 11.49pm BST Good evening folks, welcome to this live blog of tonight’s Barcelona v Manchester United friendly being played at FedEx Field in Maryland, USA. As with all...
- Wed Jul 26 10:30 PM
• Scott McTominay and Demi Mitchell among players tipped for regular action • Manager defends record: ‘When the kids are good, there is no problem’ José Mourinho predicts Scott McTominay and Demi Mitchell are among a batch of “half a dozen” home-grown Manchester United players who could become fi...
- Wed Jul 26 2:55 PM
• Manager says Barkley ‘is not in Everton’s future’ and will be sold • Midfielder has confirmed he will not sign new contract, Koeman says Ross Barkley
has signalled the end of his Everton career by informing Ronald Koeman that he will not sign a new contract and “is looking for a new challenge”....
- Wed Jul 26 2:01 PM
Mauricio Pochettino has bucked the trend by not adding to his Tottenham squad but the rest of the top clubs have plenty of spending left in them yet As well as this summer being remembered for the transfer window in which just about every Premier League club tried to break their own spending reco...
- Wed Jul 26 1:05 PM
Manchester United manager José Mourinho has said that he would like two more players for his squad but believes that, with the current market, he is more likely to sign just one. Mourinho, talking before a pre-season friendly match against Barcelona, thinks his squad is lacking a midfielder and a...
- Wed Jul 26 9:22 AM
It may not even be the Southampton player’s best goal but great goals are like great records: they capture their own time perfectly The move leading up to Matt Le Tissier’s skip and jink and dreamy little chip over Peter Schmeichel for Southampton against Manchester United in October 1996 emerges...