- Sun Aug 13 8:38 PM
• Manager wants me to bring leadership to the team, says striker • Lukaku marked Premier League debut with two goals against West Ham Romelu Lukaku
responded to José Mourinho’s demand he should be a Manchester United “leader” by scoring twice on his Premier League debut as West Ham United were be...
- Sun Aug 13 8:08 PM
With the new 2017-18 season in full swing, we have selected 12 of our favourite images from the opening weekend in England’s top flight • Follow us on Instagram for more great sports photography Continue reading
- Sun Aug 13 7:46 PM
José Mourinho praised Romelu Lukaku
after the striker scored twice on his Manchester United debut to help his side to a 4-0 win over West Ham on Sunday. The £75m signing netted either side of half-time in the club's first fixture of the new Premier League season. Goals from Anthony Martial and Pa...
- Sun Aug 13 6:04 PM
For Manchester United, it is difficult to see how their first game of the new season could have gone much better other than perhaps another goal or two to polish up their superiority. As it was, they shouldn’t be too greedy. Romelu Lukaku
has wasted little time demonstrating why he became the clu...
- Sun Aug 13 3:03 PM
Premier League updates from the 4pm BST kick-off Mourinho ‘on fire’ at United | Joe Hart
on his move to West Ham And feel free to email email@example.com 3.03pm BST Man Utd (4-2-3-1) De Gea; Valencia, Bailly, Jones, Blind; Pogba, Matic; Mkhitaryan, Mata, Rashford; Lukaku. Substitutes: Rom...
- Sat Aug 12 10:30 PM
At his previous clubs the manager has always won the title in his second season and he says he is ready to meet the expectation of success José Mourinho is under a certain amount of pressure this season at Manchester United, albeit pressure he has brought on himself. At his previous clubs he has...
- Sat Aug 12 5:11 PM
The moment Wayne Rooney
craved, the reason he came home to Everton. With his sons looking on the 31-year-old marked his return to his boyhood club with a fine winning goal against Stoke City as Ronald Koeman’s new-look team opened the season with a hard-fought victory. An ugly game was elevated b...
- Sat Aug 12 8:59 AM
Manchester United lost only once at home last season but 15 draws meant they finished sixth. One of the draws was November’s 1-1 with West Ham so what José Mourinho does not want is a repeat. Losing to Slaven Bilic’s side would be unthinkable but having spent £75m on Romelu Lukaku, £31m on Victor...
- Sat Aug 12 12:02 AM
Antonio Conte’s squad appears thin, with new signings merely replacing departed players, while Diego Costa remains in limbo José Mourinho takes so many swings at so many perceived enemies that it is easy to forget there are times that he may be right. As his final season at Chelsea spiralled out...
- Fri Aug 11 3:13 PM
• United manager remains defiant despite summer injury setbacks • Still hopes to sign a wide player before transfer window closes José Mourinho believes Manchester United can win the title this season, despite starting the campaign at a similar level to last summer – with the arrivals of Romelu L...
- Fri Aug 11 12:00 PM
The physically imposing side Mourinho has built might not be in United’s best traditions but they could bulldoze their way to the title and keep up the manager’s year-two record Star man: Young, handsome, athletic, zanily coiffed, beloved of sponsors and insanely skilful, all Paul Pogba needs to...
- Fri Aug 11 12:00 PM
Goodison is glowing with optimism after a summer spending spree topped by bringing back Rooney that should see Everton challenging for the top four Star man: The wanderer returns! Wayne Rooney
enters a new phase of his career: that of elder statesman, tasked with drawing on a dozen years of succe...
- Fri Aug 11 8:31 AM
Today’s tittle-tattle is showing discouraging signs of pace and movement We start this morning with Tottenham Hotspur , who are poised break the bank with an £Infinity sextuple-swoop for Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davey, Dan’l Whiddon and Harry Hawke. Not really. But Daniel Levy...
- Wed Aug 9 10:40 PM
• Manager admits United are long way behind Spanish powerhouses • Mourinho says United will be humble on their return to Champions League José Mourinho has compared Manchester United’s struggle in the Champions League to having “a giant on our chest” before their return to the competition. United...
- Wed Aug 9 10:30 PM
• Striker to make Hammers debut at former home Old Trafford • Hernández won two Premier Leagues with Manchester United Javier Hernández will return to Old Trafford as a West Ham player on Sunday and says he feels “only happiness” towards the club that brought him to the Premier League seven years...
- Wed Aug 9 12:23 PM
Introduction of the big Belgian almost rescued the Super Cup final for Manchester United and showed why José Mourinho rates him so highly For a footballer who suffers a near-constant dose of over-the-top criticism, look no further than Marouane Fellaini
. For a man who handles this with dignity an...
- Wed Aug 9 10:00 AM
• Swedish striker continuing to rehabilitate from knee injury • Mourinho open to offering Ibrahimovic new deal once he recovers Zlatan Ibrahimovic has made his mind up and is keen to rejoin Manchester United this season. The Sweden striker is continuing his rehabilitation programme after the cruc...
- Tue Aug 8 11:56 PM
• United manager admits Wales star wants to stay at Real Madrid • Madrid claim Super Cup with 2-1 victory over Mourinho’s men José Mourinho admitted it is “game over” regarding Manchester United’s hopes of signing Gareth Bale
, following the 2-1 defeat by Real Madrid in Tuesday night’s Uefa Super...
- Tue Aug 8 10:03 PM
• Real Madrid 2-1 Manchester United • Casemiro 24, Isco 52 | Lukaku 62 Manchester United were beaten but can take some credit for making Real Madrid fight until the end and, following Nemanja Matic’s fine performance, will hope real quality has been added to the midfield. As it was, Madrid claime...
- Tue Aug 8 7:06 PM
European champions meet the Europa League winners in Skopje Mourinho plays the humble one before facing Real Madrid again And mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @NickAmes82 7.06pm BST This match is, of course, being held in Skopje, Macedonia. It’s arguably a bigger occasion for Skopje...
- Tue Aug 8 8:30 AM
• ‘Europa League is very hard to win but top quality is Champions League’ • Real are team everyone wants to beat, says Juan Mata
before Super Cup José Mourinho was in deferential mood again when discussing Manchester United’s quality compared with Real Madrid, saying the Europa League is very dif...
- Tue Aug 8 8:24 AM
Today’s rumours are having visa issues Under normal circumstances, even for a good (sometimes very good) defender, a crocked player would ease himself back into pre-season, hoping to impress his manager and win his place back in the side, hoping that his value/future earnings hadn’t diminished to...
- Mon Aug 7 5:15 PM
• Manchester United face Real Madrid in European Super Cup final on Tuesday • ‘If he’s not selected, I will try to be waiting for him on the other side’ José Mourinho has said he will “fight” for Gareth Bale
’s signature if Real Madrid do not want him, with the Portuguese predicting that the forwa...
- Mon Aug 7 1:00 PM
José Mourinho has spent lavishly again this summer to create a big, powerful side equipped for the title race – yet Manchester United must buy again Guardian writers’ predicted position 3rd (NB: this is not necessarily Jamie Jackson’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips) Last season’s...
- Mon Aug 7 10:32 AM
• Manchester United defender to have medical ahead of move • Barcelona interested in signing Jean Michaël Seri from Nice Timothy Fosu-Mensah is set to join Crystal Palace on a season-long loan from Manchester United, with the defender due for medical on Monday. Frank de Boer has been searching fo...
- Mon Aug 7 8:33 AM
Today’s fluff is letting it all soak in Having been repeatedly linked with a move to Manchester United that Real Madrid insisted would not happen, Gareth Bale could end up at Chelsea if Antonio Conte gets his way. Reports from the Spanish capital suggest that if Real land Monaco striker Kylian Mb...
- Mon Aug 7 8:20 AM
Before last season, the leading narrative was that of a Manchester divided – two huge personalities with plenty of baggage and history, taking charge of two of England’s biggest clubs, just a couple of miles apart. By their lofty standards, both City and United had disappointing seasons, but with...